Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The scent of camping is in the air...
Growinupin-
fl
Advanced
Post The scent of camping is in the air...
on: April 10, 2011, 15:44

Hi everyone,

All this talk of group camping, emergency supplies has brought the thought of camping and hiking this spring before it becomes miserably hot here in Florida.

I would like some input from more experienced hikers. I would like recommendations on the following information;

hiking routes,

what do you carry or do for food supplies,

best way to pack a back pack,

emergency supplies,

mistakes to avoid,

and what age should kids be before you go on an overnight hiking trip.

Momma to many, heart for all. We have chickens everywhere we are still trying to figure out what breed we want to specialize in. Hopefully we will settle down into one breed soon!

Kestrel
Advanced
Post Re: The scent of camping is in the air...
on: April 11, 2011, 20:08

I've never gone backpacking...but does there really need to be an minimum age? As long as you have sufficient parental supervision, it should be safe. It's not like you are planning to take along a dozen daredevil kids with no respect for rules, safety, or guidelines....I hope.....

Growinupin-
fl
Advanced
Post Re: The scent of camping is in the air...
on: April 12, 2011, 06:19

I think going deep woods hiking would be a bit different with a two year old. I know when we even went camping with trailers, at the Rockie Mt. timber line, I had twin cousins that were about 2. They about got lost in the Rockies, my Aunt took a 200 ft rope and tied them off to tree.

Going camping no I don't think so, but I was wondering for people with young children if they should be at any specific levels of development first.

I hiked around the volcano Kilauea in Hawaii with me and hubby with a infant or toddler in a back pack, but it was not an overnight hike, we just went regular day hiking. I have not done an overnight backpacking trip with kids, only regular tent camping. So I just didn't know if there was a recommended youngest age to take them.

Christal

Momma to many, heart for all. We have chickens everywhere we are still trying to figure out what breed we want to specialize in. Hopefully we will settle down into one breed soon!

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.29 ; Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.

3 Responses to Forum

1. I read some folks hatched Trader Jo’s Fertile eggs!
    I saw some fertile brown chicken eggs at Uwajimaya yesterday for $4.99/dz.
    Very tempted.
    All of my last batch of Costco’s Organic eggs were also fertile.
    Some of the Egglands Best also that way. Hmmmm
    Maybe it is a Spring thing??? Fertile eggs everywhere except for in my duck’s nest.
    She went broody over 2 blue easter eggs…hahaha
    But that would be an inexpensive way to hatch some eggs.

2. mikeh88 says:

i got 6 buff orps and 5 production reds…

3. Mrsfoote says:

I have :
    3 Blue Laced Red wyandotte chicks
    1 silver laced wyandotte hen
    1 colombian wyandotte
    1 welsummer hen
    1 blue giant cochin hen (SQ)

1 black silkie roo
    1 buff laced polish

Chicks:
    4 show girls
    7 silkies