Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Aquaponics Where plants meet fish.
DIYSeattle
Administrator
Post Aquaponics Where plants meet fish.
on: November 27, 2011, 10:48

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/Travis/IBCofAquaponics1.pdf

Here is a link that Rainwolf sent me about using those shipping containers that liquids come in for the food industry. They can be picked up off craigslist pretty cheap at times. Especially for what they are.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/information/47-information-and-links.html

Heres another one. I dont have space downstairs in teh baesment to get the IBC containers. I do have an ebb and flow system that I made with square 4 inch tubing though.

I would think that in a greenhouse you would be able to grow year around with the aquaponics. Trout and blue tilapia will tolerate cold water almost to freezing, with about 40 being optimal I think. Roughly. Bluegill and some perch will tolerate cold water. Catfish not so much, and pink tilapia not so much. I dont know other fish that tolerate cold water well that still grow well in it.

One could use a heater in the aquaponics tank in the winter or devise some sort of greenhouse to warm it as much as possible and have the heater as backup but warming a large volume of water will be costly I would think.

There are a few cold weather leaf plants that will grow in the cold. I am not sure if spinach will. Collard greens and turnips will. Brussel sprouts I think will and leeks will. Carrots probably will as mine grew last year in the winter.

Crayfish I dont know about but I have collected them in rivers that were in the 50s in temperature. Down toward freezing I dont know. There are some that are bigger than others. Thats about all I know other than they are good boiled with potatoes, corn, sausage, and some spices.

Rainwolf
Pro
Post Re: Aquaponics Where plants meet fish.
on: November 28, 2011, 14:40

I have several ideas on using IBC's now to find the IBC's!
I believe you can make a single IBC into a small vertical aquaponics garden and make it so its easy to add additional IBC's as you find them. I also think you can use the long shipping crates from pipe companies (2' x 2' x 15'+) lay in some pond liner and make grow beds along with the IBC water tank.

Then all you would have to buy is the pump, liner and the pipes/fittings.
*that is if you know where to get free IBC's

DIYSeattle
Administrator
on: November 29, 2011, 11:38

I am cleaning out the garage for my winter projects. Im about halfway through. I might be interested in working on one as a project to see what turns out from it.

As of yet Im quite happy with my square tubes that I cloned from an aeroclone model. It is only hydroponics, not aquaponics. I like the idea of growing fish in there too.

DIYSeattle
Administrator
on: November 30, 2011, 13:24

So Rainwolf and I talked about various setups for hydroponics and aquaponics. One important aspect was the absolutest minimalist requirement of electricity. Regardless there isnt many options for here, as it gets cold, as it surely does most everywhere else in the same situation. Not being in the equatorial regions, that is.

One idea I had as an afterthought was to use a pump to circulate water. The thing is that to have blue tilapia, or trout. The earth is roughly at a constant 55 degrees year round under the surface. My thoughts were to take a series of tubes wrapped around a post or pole and bury it below the varying level. At the 55 degree level. Then use a pump to slowly circulate the water through the 'cooler' and into the aquatic section. Using the surfaces of the tanks to carry floating rafts of food producing plants. The water would of course be 55 degrees or so roughly. So winter time plants would likely have to be chosen. Greens like lettuce, cabbage, kale, etc. In the summer it would keep the water cool and in the winter it would keep the water warm.

Regardless it would need fish or crustaceans that could tolerate such temperatures. Trout and blue tilapia being the first that come to mind. Bluegill also might work.

Rainwolf
Pro
on: November 30, 2011, 23:53

That's kind of like a underground radiator! Might have to try that.... Still going to see if my experimental solar water heater keeps things warm in winter. Will try and setup the barrel and heater as soon as the pipe comes in.

Rainwolf
Pro
on: November 30, 2011, 23:53

I figured out that,
grow beds could be made from used storage totes....
ponds could be made of old hot tubs...
old tubs could be made to grow beds as well but need to have stands built...

still thinking :)

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.31.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.048 seconds.

Backyard Poultry magazine - Dedicated to more and better small-flock poultry.
Short URL:

3 Responses to Forum

1. I read some folks hatched Trader Jo’s Fertile eggs!
    I saw some fertile brown chicken eggs at Uwajimaya yesterday for $4.99/dz.
    Very tempted.
    All of my last batch of Costco’s Organic eggs were also fertile.
    Some of the Egglands Best also that way. Hmmmm
    Maybe it is a Spring thing??? Fertile eggs everywhere except for in my duck’s nest.
    She went broody over 2 blue easter eggs…hahaha
    But that would be an inexpensive way to hatch some eggs.

2. mikeh88 says:

i got 6 buff orps and 5 production reds…

3. Mrsfoote says:

I have :
    3 Blue Laced Red wyandotte chicks
    1 silver laced wyandotte hen
    1 colombian wyandotte
    1 welsummer hen
    1 blue giant cochin hen (SQ)

1 black silkie roo
    1 buff laced polish

Chicks:
    4 show girls
    7 silkies