Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chicken Compost Works
DIYSeattle
Administrator
Post Chicken Compost Works
on: July 15, 2012, 22:41

I had an area about 8 by 4 or so roughly that had sandy loam 4 or 5 feet deep. It was a pool that had been filled in.

Rainwolf offered to bring over the tiller and turn it under. I put my movable super duper urban chicken ark over the sandy loam for a while moving it back and forth. When the bedding looked like it was ready to let rest I moved the ark to a new area. I threw on top some soil amendments like pine bark to help hold water a bit, some turface I had and for the same reason, to hold water but drain freely.

After several months of breaking down further Rainwolf came over and tilled it. It was planted in the spring. It is now completely grown up and I have to trim things now. The tomatoes are getting big, the eggplants growing really well and the peas and beans are doing great.

Turning the ground in is supposed to be bad Ive read but it made a huge difference in the places that it was done. I have only fertilized it very lightly and this year Im having a good response to my garden, The chicken litter compost is working. Ill try to post some pics of it soon.

DIYSeattle
Administrator
Post Re: Chicken Compost Works
on: December 6, 2012, 07:12

So my growing season is over and I have pulled everything up from the old pool area. From the other parts that are not fertilized with compost I can tell a giant huge difference in the amount of foliage and vegetables that were produced from it.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.039 seconds.

Backyard Poultry magazine - Dedicated to more and better small-flock poultry.
Short URL:

Comments

• I read some folks hatched Trader Jo’s Fertile eggs!
    I saw some fertile brown chicken eggs at Uwajimaya yesterday for $4.99/dz.
    Very tempted.
    All of my last batch of Costco’s Organic eggs were also fertile.
    Some of the Egglands Best also that way. Hmmmm
    Maybe it is a Spring thing??? Fertile eggs everywhere except for in my duck’s nest.
    She went broody over 2 blue easter eggs…hahaha
    But that would be an inexpensive way to hatch some eggs.

• mikeh88 says:

i got 6 buff orps and 5 production reds…

• Mrsfoote says:

I have :
    3 Blue Laced Red wyandotte chicks
    1 silver laced wyandotte hen
    1 colombian wyandotte
    1 welsummer hen
    1 blue giant cochin hen (SQ)

1 black silkie roo
    1 buff laced polish

Chicks:
    4 show girls
    7 silkies
    3 Olive Eggers
    1 dark brahma
    1 dark brahma bantam (roo)
    1 cuckoo maran
    1 Lav Oprington

Comments Closed

DIY Seattle located at PO Box 75434 , Seattle, Wa . Reviewed by 64 customers rated: 3.7 / 5