Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Long term Pantry
crazyabout-
chickens
Post Re: Long term Pantry
on: September 30, 2013, 15:29

For a long term pantry, this stuff needs to be able to keep. Not meaning to bash your list, but;
Flour will go bad quickly, buy a grinder and more wheat instead. Dust the wheat with DE to kill any insects before putting into an insect or rodentproof container.
Half of those sugars are not necessary. Luxury items such as maple sugars should be left for last.
A little detail on oil; it goes rancid quickly, either freeze it, or rotate it often.
Pasta, due to the oil content, goes rancid too. Use that powdered egg and make your own. Or better, acquire a few chickens and feed them on sprouted grain and worms.
Nuts, and chocolate both go rancid quickly too. Substitute a few mature back walnut or oak trees for nuts.
As for chocolate, well, there is no long term solution for that except buy the darkest you can find, as it will last a bit longer.

DIYSeattle
Administrator
on: October 2, 2013, 21:43

Ive been looking at trying to make a grinding wheel like the Indian and Chinese models that are a stone wheel that you turn by hand. A modern type is very expensive, especially electric.

Im looking at using porland cement and there are some examples, now its just getting down to the nitty gritty and doing it. After I finish my multiple house related projects Ill get at it.

crazyabout-
chickens
on: October 4, 2013, 20:45

While I think the modern hand-turned grain mills are worth it even though they've doubled in price over the past two years, nixtamalization would be a good process to look into also if you're stocking corn.

DIYSeattle
Administrator
on: October 7, 2013, 12:31

I never tried to make grits out of just cornmeal. I have absolutely no idea how to make grits using lime or acid to take the hull off of the corn. I guess I would be a no grits eating end of the world zombie apocalypse person.

crazyabout-
chickens
on: October 7, 2013, 14:38

O.o Just had to ask...

1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup quick cooking grits
1/2 tsp. salt.
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tablespoons butter

Bring water and salt to a boil. Add grits, stir well. Reduce heat and cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently Remove from heat, and stir evaporated milk and butter. Let sit for 3 - 5 minutes and serve.

Of course, grits can be cooked plain, without butter or evaporated milk. Adapt your recipes to the situation.

Here's a link for the nixtamalization process. http://thecheffyboy.blogspot.com/2009/12/cooking-with-ashmaking-masa.html

And it isn't just for grits, but can be used and basically any recipe you use corn for, including cornbread, tamales, tortillas, etc...

DIYSeattle
Administrator
on: October 15, 2013, 12:30

I normally do not use quick cooking grits as far as I know. We normally buy the 25 pound bag of Bob's mill polenta or the pheasant brand polenta out here. I do not think I've seen white grits out here at all only the yellow meant for polenta.

Pages: 1 [2]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.038 seconds.

Backyard Poultry magazine - Dedicated to more and better small-flock poultry.

3 comments on “Forum

1. I read some folks hatched Trader Jo’s Fertile eggs!
    I saw some fertile brown chicken eggs at Uwajimaya yesterday for $4.99/dz.
    Very tempted.
    All of my last batch of Costco’s Organic eggs were also fertile.
    Some of the Egglands Best also that way. Hmmmm
    Maybe it is a Spring thing??? Fertile eggs everywhere except for in my duck’s nest.
    She went broody over 2 blue easter eggs…hahaha
    But that would be an inexpensive way to hatch some eggs.

2. mikeh88 says:

i got 6 buff orps and 5 production reds…

3. Mrsfoote says:

I have :
    3 Blue Laced Red wyandotte chicks
    1 silver laced wyandotte hen
    1 colombian wyandotte
    1 welsummer hen
    1 blue giant cochin hen (SQ)

1 black silkie roo
    1 buff laced polish

Chicks:
    4 show girls
    7 silkies
    3 Olive Eggers
    1 dark brahma
    1 dark brahma bantam (roo)
    1 cuckoo maran
    1 Lav Oprington

DIY Seattle located at PO Box 75434 , Seattle, Wa . Reviewed by 64 customers rated: 3.7 / 5