Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Heads up Seattle, are you for or against GMO food labeling aka I-522
cupofnoodl-
e
Administrator
Post Heads up Seattle, are you for or against GMO food labeling aka I-522
on: October 28, 2013, 20:14

The people of Washington State get to vote on whether or not to label GMO food through the general election ballot on November 5, 2013.

Chart showing who's throwing money at the bill here. See a detailed spreadsheet of fund sources here. Note companies against GMO labeling are diverting money through other organizations like the Grocery Manufacturers Association to keep their involvement low key.

A $46 million advertising campaign was used in California to defeat a similar bill. Online media diverted readers from the real issue which is simply labeling GMO foods at the grocery store. One such tactic was clever use of images of a stack of cookies and fundraiser shaped candy bars which insinuates Prop 52 will take money from children (and churches and nonprofits). Remember, it's about GMO labeling for food sold at grocery stores.

Hopefully, the people of Washington State will do their own research and come to their own conclusion. If you do or don't want GMO food labeling, mark your choice on WA state's election ballot Nov 5.

DIYSeattle
Administrator
Post Re: Heads up Seattle, are you for or against GMO food labeling aka I-522
on: October 31, 2013, 06:57

I see advertisements for the campaign no labeling and that is misleading. I think there are three types of food organic, conventionally grown, and the genetically modified program. I would like to know the difference between conventional and the genetically modified group when I go to the store. It is expected of certain things that contain certain ingredients but I would still like to know and see it labelled.

cupofnoodl-
e
Administrator
on: November 2, 2013, 03:42

What kind of advertisements? TV? Newspaper? I've only seen the online ones which is verbatim arguments used in California. Compare an anti-I 522 pdf to the simple facts cited by SeattleTimes.com. The exemption for meats from livestock fed GMO crops is disappointing but the initiative will label genetically modified salmon if it ever makes it out of political limbo. Wonder what WA thinks of the $330,000 hamburger meat grown in petri dish. Does it count as genetically engineered meat?

DIYSeattle
Administrator
on: November 6, 2013, 21:30

As of now it's not passing. There's still 300 thousand mail in ballots though.

DIYSeattle
Administrator
on: November 12, 2013, 11:40

It's getting tighter as the final votes are counted. We will see soon how it ended officially.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.

Backyard Poultry magazine - Dedicated to more and better small-flock poultry.

3 comments on “Forum

1. I read some folks hatched Trader Jo’s Fertile eggs!
    I saw some fertile brown chicken eggs at Uwajimaya yesterday for $4.99/dz.
    Very tempted.
    All of my last batch of Costco’s Organic eggs were also fertile.
    Some of the Egglands Best also that way. Hmmmm
    Maybe it is a Spring thing??? Fertile eggs everywhere except for in my duck’s nest.
    She went broody over 2 blue easter eggs…hahaha
    But that would be an inexpensive way to hatch some eggs.

2. mikeh88 says:

i got 6 buff orps and 5 production reds…

3. Mrsfoote says:

I have :
    3 Blue Laced Red wyandotte chicks
    1 silver laced wyandotte hen
    1 colombian wyandotte
    1 welsummer hen
    1 blue giant cochin hen (SQ)

1 black silkie roo
    1 buff laced polish

Chicks:
    4 show girls
    7 silkies
    3 Olive Eggers
    1 dark brahma
    1 dark brahma bantam (roo)
    1 cuckoo maran
    1 Lav Oprington

DIY Seattle located at PO Box 75434 , Seattle, Wa . Reviewed by 64 customers rated: 3.7 / 5