We wanted a project car that we all could work on and use. After a little deliberation we decided on the Vanagon Westfalia. The old bay window were cool but the aircooled engines weren’t quite as reliable. The newer models lacked ground clearance the brick shaped 80s was for us.
We found a beater and every panel was damaged, but it was cheap. Service records showed that it had been rebuilt and new heads installed. The transmission was rebuilt and a new clutch and throw out bearing put in. Hoses and belts replaced as well. 10 thousand miles ago. The inside was nice and clean.
The tires were shot and dry rotten. Scary to drive on. The cargo tub was torn off presumably from a tree or accident hat damaged to top of the passenger door. We found a cargo tub for 50 dollars that needed to corner fiberglassed. A few hours later the roof was repaired. The brackets were straightened, and the cargo tub repaired.